Making the Transition - Research and Pricing

So after my mind was made up on getting a gaming PC, I decided to do some research. Everything I know (which is enough to get by) was self taught via the wondrous phenomenon known as 'the internet'. A plethora of forum pages, web articles and YouTube videos got me to where I am now. I started researching computers in October/November, and after leaving Uni prematurely (that's a whole other can of worms) and getting my old job back, I was able to raise the funds to build myself a PC around February time. And this is where the first problem lies: Cost.

Pretty much any way you look at it, the initial cost of a gaming PC will cost more than a console. Albeit not by much, but it will probably cost more. That is unless you decide to get all secondhand components, but therein lies inherent risk. And when you compare this against secondhand consoles, which are still cheaper and don't have nearly as much risk, the comparison is almost moot. For a first time builder, it would be best to get nearly all new components; however, it would be best to cut costs wherever possible.

The case I originally used, which has been replaced by my new, sexy Corsair Carbide Spec-01, was actually given to me by a friend with a power supply included. The PSU was the main reason for upgrading as I couldn't find anything about the power supply, and I actually didn't know what power rating it had. However, my computer was stable and I didn't get any odd crashes or smells, so I can only assume it was good enough. Although, it did leave me worrying about setting my house on fire when I left it on and I went out.

Furthermore, of any part to cheap out on your PC, DO NOT cheap out on your power supply. This is feeding all of your components with the power it needs, and a Chinese knock-off, poor quality one could damage your components if it has a surge and even be a FIRE HAZARD!

This does mean more cost, but frankly, I'd rather spend £15-£30 more on a quality PSU rather than £200,000+ on a new house.

Other than the case, PSU and an optical drive (which I barely used and is kind of pointless in modern times), I bought everything else new. It came to about £500 in the end, which is pretty conservative for a PC. I am planning on upgrading soon, which will bump up the value from about £500 to more like £700-£800. Such is the problem with a PC. Because you have the capability to upgrade as opposed to a console, you find yourself sucked into upgrading your PC all the time. I know Dakota doesn't really feel like this, having a PC built for him a number of years ago, but I certainly have the urge to upgrade (despite the fact that my current rig is already more than capable).

Fortunately, the presence of Steam sales and discount sites like G2A means you can get games cheaper than the console equivalent, making it arguably cheaper in the long run.

I would recommend watching YouTube channels like JayzTwoCents, LinusTechTips or any other like channel. My first video on the matter was by jackfrags, a couple of components he recommended I've actually got in my system.

So remember, do the research. But when it comes to actually building it, don't be scared. Computers may look complicated but they are actually relatively simple. A functional PC is comprised of 7 components working together and that's it. Of course, you can add more for extra performance or features, but 7 is the bare minimum.
Share on Google Plus

About Unknown

    Blogger Comment
    Facebook Comment

0 comments:

Post a Comment